Website Matthew Syed Consulting
About Matthew Syed Consulting
Matthew Syed Consulting is a boutique psychology-based consulting company, specialising in leadership development focused on developing growth mindsets and diverse thinking. We work with leaders at all levels within organisations, across a range of industries, to develop growth mindsets, diverse thinking, and learning cultures.
Matthew Syed, co-founder of the company, is an author and journalist who works with The Times, the BBC, and Sky News. His books include Rebel Ideas, Black Box Thinking, and Bounce amongst others. His podcasts – Sideways and Talent Takes Practice – also expand on the concepts of growth mindset and diverse thinking.
We work with an impressive list of both private and public sectors organisations, helping their leaders to change how they think, and what they say and do to change cultures and increase performance as individuals and for their teams. We help them tackle real-world challenges, using current research-based practices to create change.
We are a growing team with a start-up mindset. Successful applicants must be comfortable working in a results-focused environment, where there is constant learning, and products and services evolve over time.
The team are looking for an experienced commercially-focused business psychologist to join the team on a full-time basis. The office is based in south west London, and the role would include a mix of working remotely and in the office, as well as some travel within the UK to deliver to clients. The psychologist would be responsible for a number of activities.
• Data insights: Analysing data from our growth mindset psychometric assessment to identify growth mindset strengths and development areas for our clients, and designing leadership development initiatives based on these insights. Analysing data from our growth mindset pulse survey to measure and demonstrate change in growth mindset attitudes and behaviours over time.
• Leadership development design and delivery: Designing leadership development programmes using our existing library of content and practices as a base, and tailoring case studies and activities depending on the specific client needs. Working with our workshop facilitators to brief them on content and design, as well as helping to lead or co-facilitate workshop sessions (virtual and in-person). Example focus areas include: growth mindset, learning from failure, humble leadership, psychological safety, curiosity, collaboration, agility, innovation.
• Client interaction: Clients are typically managed by our client liaison team who are responsible for maintaining client relationships, and overall project management and coordination during project delivery. The psychologist role would involve the following types of client interactions: providing subject matter expert knowledge during pre-sales, working with clients on designing solutions, supporting clients with psychology-related questions during delivery, client reviews during and after project deliveries. These are in addition to client interactions involved in delivering key services (e.g., workshop delivery).
• Research-based practice: Conducting research on topics related to growth mindset and cognitive diversity in an applied business context. This could include topics such as: resilience, learning, innovation, building trust, and decision making. This research would be used to create thought leadership papers, newsletter articles, LinkedIn posts, and leadership development products and services.
• Product development: Matthew Syed Consulting are constantly evolving its set of standard products and services. The psychology team are primarily responsible for this, keeping track of evolving client needs, and designing products and services that enable clients to create cultures that are focused on learning and diverse thinking. Current products and services include things like: online learning, HR train the trainer, growth mindset diagnostic, leadership development workshops, coaching (individual and group), and pulse surveys. Future products and services may include things like: measures of psychological safety and trust, decision-making tools, additional analytics reports.
We are looking for someone with the following educational background, knowledge, skills and competencies:
Educational Qualifications/ Experience □ BSc Psychology
□ MSc in Occupational Psychology
□ 5+ years of consulting work experience
□ Experience working directly with clients strongly desired
Knowledge and Interests □ An understanding of social psychology principles
□ A basic understanding of growth mindset principles
Skills □ MS Excel – proficient to advanced
□ MS Word – proficient
□ MS PPT – proficient to advanced
□ SPSS – proficient
Competencies □ Commercial awareness: Understands how business and organisations work. Comfortable working with senior leaders. Is able to adapt approach and communication to link products and services to problems and challenges relevant to this group.
□ Takes initiative: Can work independently. Takes the initiative to start work, and get things moving once pointed in the right direction.
□ Delivers results: Approaches work in an organised way. Meets deadlines. Takes responsibility for completing work to a high standard. Strong attention to detail.
□ Adapts to change: Open to new or different ideas. Adapts to changing circumstances. Able to deal with a level of ambiguity or uncertainty.
□ Teamwork: Builds positive relationships with colleagues. Works collaboratively, supports others, and works towards team goals.
□ Learning, research and analysis: Curious, open to learning, not afraid to ask questions, open to and acts on feedback. Gets up to speed with new tasks quickly. Comfortable with core types of data analysis and associated interpretation. Comfortable conducting research and is able to create or identify practices that would work in real-world organisational settings.
□ Writing: Writes clearly and succinctly, in a well-structured and logical way. Is able to adapt writing style depending on the purpose and audience.
The Application Process
The application process will include several stages:
1) C.V. + cover letter
2) Online assessment
3) Interview + short presentation
4) Final interview
If you are interested in the position and would like to apply, please submit your C.V. along with a covering letter to email@example.com with the subject “Psychologist Application” by Monday, 09 May.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.