As well as becoming part of growing community of business psychology practitioners, being a member of the Association for Business Psychology offers you a wide range of benefits.
Click on each heading below to find out more.
Sharing knowledge is a cornerstone of the ABP and as a result, the Association is able to offer its members access to a wide range of professional resources, including:
- Feature articles Covering a wide range of topics, these thought pieces share the views of practitioners and clients on key issues pertaining to the application of psychology in the workplace
- Event presentations* As part of our Local Events offering, members often write up a summary of the key points from the session to share with others who could not attend the event. We are also working on making recordings of some future events available to members.
- Training Courses* A programme of 1-day courses and webinars for those interested in the practice of Business Psychology
- PSI True Talent (previously PAN Platform)* ABP members get free access to the PSI True Talent platform, brought to you by PSI the official technology partner of the ABP
*Please note that some of these resources are accessible in the Members area only.
The ABP uses a wide range of communication channels to help its members stay up to date, with access to industry news, the latest research and thinking from the field of Business Psychology. These include:
- Regular email alerts Providing information on forthcoming events, conferences and other ABP activities
- Monthly Newsletters With a round of ABP news and themed feature articles, they are a one stop shop for the busy ABP member
- Publications The ABP are a busy bunch and are often asked to write or contribute to articles. The publications section of the website gives members access to these latest thought pieces
Our members are an eclectic mix of highly experienced independent practitioners, consultants working for the UK’s top business psychology firms, in-house consultants, academics, HR professionals and aspiring business psychologists.
With a strong in-built desire for connecting with each other, our members can take advantage of the following resources to help them network:
- Free Speaker Events: We run monthly evening speaker events in London, and regular events in Manchester. We invite a speaker from the world of business psychology to present, followed by informal drinks and networking.
- Regional Groups We are working to grow our regional groups across the country and aim to bring members together with a programme of informal and formal events.
- Annual Conference Bringing together an excellent line up of keynotes, session speakers and entertainment programme, this flagship event is a must in most ABP members networking calendar
- ABP LinkedIn Group Providing a forum for members to post content, find answers, advertise and view jobs, as well as make contacts and establish themselves as industry experts
The ABP now offers advice for new and aspiring Business Psychologists, as well as access to the latest vacancies in our Jobs Board:
- Jobs board Advertising the latest jobs for business psychologists and other related disciplines, including full time, part time, internships and contract positions
- Volunteering opportunities Develop your career by becoming an ABP volunteer. Discover what opportunities are currently available, as well as the benefits of getting involved
- How to guides Written with the aspiring Business Psychologist in mind, these guides offer informal careers advice on how get into the industry and what to do once you get there
- ABP Accredited University courses The ABP University Accreditation programme gives students guidance on which courses will provide a suitable pathway to the discipline of Business Psychology
The ABP is a well established representing body within the field of Business Psychology, and as a result members of the Association enjoy the following benefits:
- Designatory letters As a member of the ABP you can use the letters ‘MABP’, ‘PABP’ or ‘PPABP’ after your name, depending on the membership level you have been assigned – ‘Member’, ‘Practitioner’ or ‘Principal Practitioner’ respectively.
- ABP logo* Members can use the ABP logo on their stationery and business cards
- Business Psychology Certification The ABP has introduced a professional certification programme to provide a route for ABP members to achieve certified ‘Business Psychologist’ status by evidencing their experience, expertise, competencies and skill across core psychology and business areas.
- University Accreditation scheme This scheme offers Universities the opportunity to have their courses professional recognised as providing a suitable pathway to the discipline of Business Psychology
* The ABP logo can be downloaded from the Members area
The ABP’s primary purpose is to champion Business Psychology, and by doing so we continually work to be the home and the voice for our members. Whether this representation be on government policy, governance of the discipline, or in the media, the ABP works to influence and engage:
- Representation The ABP proactively seeks to represent its members in relation policy decisions. This has included being instrumental in ensuring that business psychology remained self-regulating and the term ‘psychologist’ was not protected under the HCPC regulations
- Media opportunities The ABP is often asked to comment and contribute to pieces and by doing so raise the profile of Business Psychology, Where appropriate, the ABP also seeks to involve its members in these opportunities
We are working to increase the range of discounts offered to ABP members for professional services. ABP members currently benefit from the following, with more details in the Members area:
- Professional liability & Indemnity Insurances from Oxygen Insurance Oxygen Professional Risks is a specialist provider of insurance products to the psychological and other people-based professions.Whilst not compulsory, Professional Indemnity insurance is essential for those members who are self employed or owners of small businesses, to secure protection against all allegations of professional negligence.